In New Jersey, changes to birth certificates may be requested through the Office of Vital Statistics and Registry. The form, Application to Amend a Vital Record, is completed in the city or town where the birth took place. Requests for corrections must be accompanied by verifiable documentation. Some of the basic rules for making a change to a birth certificate include:

  • If the child is under 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian may request to make the changes.
  • If a legal guardian requests the change, a certified court order is required proving guardianship.
  • In order to correct information in regard to the parents, a parent’s birth certificate or marriage certificate is required as documentary proof.

It is extremely important to understand the Application to Amend a Vital Record cannot be used to add a father to an existing birth certificate. Instead, the Certificate of Parentage form must be properly completed and turned in.

What Type of Documentation Do I Need to Have?

You want to be certain that you have the proper documentation when attempting to make a change on a child’s birth certificate. Some of the acceptable documentation includes the following:

  • Marriage or Divorce Record
  • Court Order
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Petition for Name Change
  • Hospital or Medical Record
  • School Admission Record
  • Baptismal Record
  • Child Immunization Record

Can I Add a Father’s Name From a Birth Certificate?

If you are married to a man who is not the child’s biological father, your husband must fill out an Affidavit of Denial of Paternity. If your husband’s whereabouts are unknown, you must obtain a court order that states your husband is not the biological father of your child. This will allow you to list the biological father’s name on the amended birth certificate. If you were not married when your child was born but are now married to the biological father, you may add his name by both of you filling out the Certificate of Parentage form and providing a copy of your marriage license.

Can a Family Law Attorney Help Me Changing a Name on a Birth Certificate?

Our family law attorneys recognize the fact that the laws in regard to changing a birth certificate can be complex and difficult to understand at times. Making changes to a child’s birth certificate can involve a great deal of stress and anxiety, depending on the personal circumstances that surround each particular case. We have experienced family law attorneys who can assist you in making certain that you have all of the documentation required to make the desired changes.

Contact us at (908) 879-9499 and schedule an appointment for a one-hour strategy session. We can advise you as to both your rights and legal options.