First and foremost, know that you are not alone. While you may feel others might possibly perceive of you as foolish or reckless. in most cases in the real world that is simply not the case. Although it is entirely conceivable marriage counselling is advisable or warranted, if you know you have made an error, it is almost always advisable to rectify that mistake sooner rather than later.
To help you feel less alone, see the following fairly limited example of short (sometimes REALLY short) celebrity marriages, narrowed down to less than year, along with brief details as to each.
– Rudolph Valentino and Jean Acker: 6 hours- he was locked out of honeymoon suite.
– Britney Spears and Jason Alexander: 2 days- joke that went too far.
– Carmen Electra and Dennis Rodman: 9 days- husband deeply intoxicated at time of marriage.
– Cher & Gregg Allman: 9 days- heavy drug and alcohol abuse (Allman); divorce filed then dismissed.
– Mario Lopez and Ali laundry: 2 weeks- infidelity.
– Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries: 10 weeks- publicity stunt?
– Lisa Marie Presley and Nicholas Cage: 3 months- “big mistake”.
– Kid Rock and Pamela Anderson: 3 months, 29 days- disapproval of spouse’s career path.
– Renee Zellweger and Kenny Chesney: 4 months- miscommunication of objective of marriage.
– Jennifer Lopez and Chris Judd: 4 months- exact cause unclear, but Judd settled at 15 million.
– Drew Barrymore and Tom Green: 5 months- Life stresses- cancer and fire.
– Jeremy Renner and Sonni Pacheco: 11 Months- cause unclear.
To be clear, and before you get your hopes up, the lengths of time listed above are date of marriage until date of the filing for dissolution (divorce or annulment).
Regardless of your particular circumstances, you should seek legal counsel prior to moving forward. In New Jersey, there are time frames you must meet to file for divorce, no fault or not. There are also residency requirements. Further, both equitable distribution and support issue can be affected by the length of the marriage.
To learn your rights in your situation call 908 879 9499 to meet with one of our experienced matrimonial attorneys at EDENS LAW GROUP.